Jump to navigation Jump to search
- lanesome (Scotland)
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈloʊnsəm/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈləʊnsəm/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- Hyphenation: lone‧some
- Unhappy due to being alone; lonely.
- 1886 October – 1887 January, H[enry] Rider Haggard, She: A History of Adventure, London: Longmans, Green, and Co., published 1887, OCLC 1167497017:
- 'Where'er the sun shakes out his spears, and the lonesome waters mirror up the moon, where'er storms roll [...] there shall thy power pass and thy dominion find a home.'
unhappy due to being alone
lonesome (plural lonesomes)
- (informal) Oneself alone.
- I sat and watched the cars pass all by my lonesome.