Jump to navigation Jump to search
macher (plural machers)
- An important person, often in the negative sense of self-important; a bigwig.
- 2005 October 20, August Kleinzahler, “A Valentine’s: Regarding the Impractibility of Our Love”, in London Review of Books, volume 27, number 20, page 6:
- An ordinary man doesn’t jump the Snake River Canyon / with nothing underneath his ass / but a two-wheeled, fin-stabilised X-1 Skycycle / and a seven-figure guarantee from some macher in LA.
- 2007, Woody Allen, in, “Calisthenics, Poison Ivy, Final Cut”, in Mere Anarchy:
- Finally, Mr. Wall Street macher, there's our own Abe Silverfish, a man who has editing awards from prestige film festivals in Tanganyika and Bali.
- Alternative form of
macher m pers (feminine macherka)
- (colloquial) expert, specialist
- (colloquial) fraudster, trickster, swindler
Declension of macher