Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- plural of
- (uncountable) Potatoes that have been boiled and mashed to a pulpy consistency.
- (skiing) Partially melted snow with a pulpy texture, making for slow skiing.
1984 November, Sailiant, Richard C., “Ask Skiing [letter]”, Skiing, page 38:
- During late-season skiing, I have encountered ice in the morning and mashed potatoes in the afternoon.
1996 Spring-Summer, Lund, Morten, “Skiing Down Those Golden Years with John Jay”, Skiing Heritage Journal, page 7:
- The Eastern ski tribe could confidently expect much ice underfoot while the Western contingent could expect much mashed potatoes around the ankles.
2001 October 1, Parker, Paul, Free-Heel Skiing: Telemark and Parallel Techniques for All Conditions, Third edition, Seattle: The Mountaineers Books, ISBN 9780898867756, OL 3938026M, page 185:
- I climbed back through the bottomless mashed potatoes as quickly as I could, relieved to see that his ski was off, with his foot pointing in a normal direction— not the skis’.
potatoes that have been boiled and mashed