Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- in the morning, relating to the morning
1861, Various, Atlantic Monthly, Volume 8, No. 47, September, 1861:
- I was awakened, as usual, by the outcries of the refractory negroes receiving their matinal stripes in the whipping-house.
1877, May Agnes Fleming, Kate Danton, or, Captain Danton's Daughters:
- Kate stood by the window, looking out drearily at the matinal sunlight.
1919, Various, The Best Short Stories of 1917:
- I might add, however, for your further information, that I think I shall not go to Bund-i-Kir, which looks too peaceful to disturb at this matinal hour, but there--on the western shore of the Ab-i-Shuteit.
- “matinal” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
matinal m, f (plural matinales)