Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /mɪsˈnəʊmə/
- (US) IPA(key): /mɪsˈnoʊmɚ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -əʊmə(r)
misnomer (plural misnomers)
- A use of a term that is misleading; a misname.
- Synonym: misname
- Calling it a driveway is a bit of a misnomer, since you don't drive on it, you park on it.
- 1994, Illinois. Appellate Court, Stephen Davis Porter, Illinois Appellate reports (page 257)
- […] plaintiff's misstyling himself as corporation in initial complaint constituted case of misnomer.
- A term that is misleading.
- Chinese checkers is a misnomer since the game has nothing to do with China.
- A term whose sense in common usage conflicts with a technical sense.
- (proscribed, nonstandard) something asserted not to be true; a myth or mistaken belief
- It's a misnomer that engineers can't write.
use of term that is misleading
term whose sense in common usage conflicts with a technical sense
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked