From Middle English nyght tyme, nyȝttyme, equivalent to night + time. Compare Dutch nachttijd, German Nachtzeit, Danish nattetid, Swedish nattetid. Compare also Middle English nyȝter tyme (“nighttime”), from Old Norse náttartími, nætrtími (“nighttime”).
- The hours of darkness between sunset and sunrise; the night.
- 1996, Kiplinger's Personal Finance, volume 50, number 7, page 52:
- Smith Barney, for example, goes so far as to shift the hours during which taxi rides home are expensable as nighttime lengthens and shortens, says Moszkowski.
nighttime (not comparable)
- Pertaining to nighttime; appropriate to the night.
- Happening during the night.