Jump to navigation Jump to search
nonplus (plural nonpluses)
- A state of perplexity or bewilderment.
- 1603, Michel de Montaigne, chapter 46, in John Florio, transl., The Essayes, […], book I, printed at London: By Val[entine] Simmes for Edward Blount […], OCLC 946730821:
- altering Vaudemont, to Vallemontanus, and metamorphosing them, by suting them to the Græcian or Latin tongue, we know not what to make of them, and are often at a non-plus.
- (Can we date this quote by South and provide title, author’s full name, and other details?)
- Both of them are a perfect nonplus and baffle to all human understanding.