Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (AU) (file)
outfield (plural outfields)
- (baseball, softball) The region of the field between the infield and the outer fence.
- He hit a long fly ball to the outfield in the gap to left.
- (cricket) The region of the field roughly outside of the infield or the wicket-keeper, slips, gully, point, cover, mid off, mid on, midwicket and square leg.
- (Scotland, agriculture) Arable land continually cropped without being manured.
- (Scotland, agriculture) Any open field at a distance from the farmsteading.
- (baseball, cricket) To perform better in defense (fielding).
- 2005, William A. Cook, The Louisville Grays Scandal of 1877: The Taint of Gambling at the Dawn of the National League, McFarland, →ISBN, page 118:
- A special dispatch sent to The Cincinnati Enquirer on the game stated that the Buckeyes outfielded and outplayed the Grays at every point, and that had the Bucks run for first base instead of watching the ball after they hit it, they would have increased the score.