Jump to navigation Jump to search
pantywaist (not comparable)
- (informal, especially of a male person) Weak, timid, effeminate, ineffectual.
- His rough, burly father was mortified by the lad's pantywaist behavior.
pantywaist (plural pantywaists)
- (informal, dated) An undergarment composed, in part, of panties attached to a waistband.
- 1929 April 29, “The Altman Sale of Children's Underwear”, in The New York Times, display advertisement, page 16:
- Lace trimmed panty waists—50 cents.
- (derogatory) An ineffectual, weak, or timid person, especially a boy or young man; a sissy.
- 1943 January 24, Borland, Hal, “'Baedekers' for Our Fighters: So you're going abroad, says Uncle Sam”, in The New York Times, page SM14:
- Don't be misled by the British tendency to be soft-spoken and polite. The English language didn't spread across the oceans and over the mountains and jungles and swamps because these people were pantywaists.