Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: tímid
- Lacking in courage or confidence.
- Synonyms: fearful, timorous, shy; see also Thesaurus:cautious, Thesaurus:shy
- Antonyms: daredevil, dauntless, bellicose, reckless, aggressive
- 1963, Margery Allingham, chapter 19, in The China Governess:
- When Timothy and Julia hurried up the staircase to the bedroom floor, where a considerable commotion was taking place, Tim took Barry Leach with him. […]. The captive made no resistance and came not only quietly but in a series of eager little rushes like a timid dog on a choke chain.
- John's a very timid person. I'll doubt he'll be brave enough to face his brother.
lacking in courage or confidence
- timid in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
- timid in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911.
Declension of timid