Jump to navigation Jump to search
From Latin pellicula, from pellis (“skin”). Doublet of pellicule.
pellicle (plural pellicles)
- A thin skin or film.
- A skin or coating of proteins on the surface of meat to be smoked, improving the surface adhesion.
- Cuticle, the hard protective outer layer of certain life forms.
- The skin of a mushroom cap.
- (mycology) The outermost layer of a mushroom, often used only for a surface that is viscid and easily peels off.
- The growth on the surface of a liquid culture.
- The photosensitive emulsion of photographic film.
- (optics) A thin plastic membrane used as a beam splitter or protective cover.