Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (AU) (file)
- (ice hockey) An enclosed bench where a player must remain for timed period (a penalty) that is assessed after an infraction.
- Both players got to cool their heels for five minutes in their respective penalty boxes after the fight.
- (soccer) The penalty area.
- (idiomatic, figuratively) A temporary punishment, or, metaphorically, a similar setback (e.g., loss of control, embarrassment, etc.).
- 2008, John Zarrella and Patrick Oppmann, "Florida, Michigan seek exit from Democratic penalty box," CNN.com, :
- Florida, Michigan seek exit from Democratic penalty box
- (ice hockey): sin bin
in ice hockey, enclosed bench for serving a penalty
penalty area — see penalty area