Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Extreme want; poverty; destitution.
- 2021 December 29, Howard Johnston, “Regional News: Eastern”, in RAIL, number 947, page 20:
- Scrayingham: The churchyard nine miles north-east of York is the last resting place of 'Railway King' George Hudson, who died 150 years ago on December 14. He was responsible for the development of much of the UK's railway network but became financially overstretched. He was found guilty of fraud, was imprisoned, and spent his final years in penury.
- A lack of something; a dearth.
lack of something
- “penury”, in Lexico, Dictionary.com; Oxford University Press, 2019–present.
- Douglas Harper (2001–2022), “penury”, in Online Etymology Dictionary.