Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- It may be from Old Tupi sanha, sainha (“tooth”), or a Guaraní cognate of the same.
- It may be from Old Tupi ánha, anhá (“cut”) (which also meant "bad" or "devil" in Tupi-Guarani).
- The full term may have been pira nya, a variant of pira'ya (“scissor-fish”), in Old Tupi.
piranha (plural piranhas)
- Any of the carnivorous freshwater fish living in South American rivers and belonging to the subfamily Serrasalminae.
South American fish
- “piranha” in Dictionary.com Unabridged, v1.0.1, Lexico Publishing Group, 2006.
- ^ Britton, A. Scott. Guaraní: Guaraní-English, English-Guaraní ; concise dictionary. New York: Hippocrene Books, 2005. Print.
From Old Tupi.
piranha f (plural piranhas)