Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (philosophy) The belief that possible things exist, as well as actual things.
- Antonym: actualism
- The theory that the geographical environment sets certain constraints, but culture is otherwise determined by social conditions.
- An approach that pragmatically focuses on achievable goals rather than impossible ideals.
- 1970, The Journal of the College & University Personnel Association:
- Aim at a standard of adequacy (possibilism) rather than at a standard of perfection (utopianism).
- (sometimes derogatory) Any of various socialist reform movements.