Dead man walking. (He's not dead yet.)
|Examples (grammar, rhetoric)|
That noise, I just heard it again.
- (rhetoric) The assignment of something to a period of time that precedes it.
- (logic) The anticipation of an objection to an argument.
- (grammar, rhetoric) A construction that consists of placing an element in a syntactic unit before that to which it would logically correspond.
- (philosophy, epistemology) A so-called "preconception", i.e. a pre-theoretical notion which can lead to true knowledge of the world. (Can we add an example for this sense?)
- (botany) Growth in which lateral branches develop from a lateral meristem, after the formation of a bud or following a period of dormancy, when the lateral meristem is split from a terminal meristem.
- (representation of something that has occurred before its time): anachronism, flashforward, foreshadowing
- (anticipation of objection to an argument): procatalepsis
- (grammar, rhetoric): left dislocation
- (botany): syllepsis