Jump to navigation Jump to search
This English term is a hot word. Its inclusion on Wiktionary is provisional.
- (computing) Software subverted to serve the ends of a political protest, for example by deleting files or displaying propaganda messages.
- 2022 March 17, Brian Krebs, “Pro-Ukraine ‘Protestware’ Pushes Antiwar Ads, Geo-Targeted Malware”, in Krebs on Security:
- Commenting on the malicious code added to the “Vue-cli” application, GitHub user “nm17” said a continued expansion of protestware would erode public trust in open-source software.
- 2022 March 19, Lucian Constantin, “Developer sabotages own npm module prompting open-source supply chain security questions”, in CSO Magazine:
- In January, two other popular modules called colors and faker were intentionally sabotaged by their maintainer. Is protestware going to become a common problem?
- 2022 March 21, “CNN Follows Marines Fighting to Take Back Kherson from Russia”, in CNN International First Move with Julia Chatterley, spoken by George Kurtz:
- In fact, what we've seen over the last week is something called “protestware”, and that is some damaging and non-damaging code put into open source projects, specifically focused on organizations in Russia and Belarus. Now, they are making a statement, and that falls under what we call “hacktivism”.
This Portuguese term is a hot word. Its inclusion on Wiktionary is provisional.
protestware m (uncountable)
- 2022 March 17, Emerson Alecrim, “Protestware: desenvolvedor sabota projeto com "mensagem de paz" para Ucrânia [Protestware: developer sabotages project with 'message of peace' for Ukraine]”, in Terra Brasil:
- A solução apontada pelos pesquisadores da Snyk para que desenvolvedores possam se desvencilhar desse protestware é priorizar o uso de versões "limpas" do node-ipc, como a 9.2.1 e a 10.1.0.
- The solution pointed out by Snyk researchers for developers to avoid this protestware is to prioritise the use of "clean" versions of node-ipc, such as 9.2.1 and 10.1.0.
- 2022 March 18, Milena Dimitrova, “Projetos de Protestware no GitHub Push Pro-Ukraine Ads e Data Wipers”, in Sensors Tech Forum:
- Pesquisadores têm rastreado os chamados projetos de protestware no GitHub com código adicionado recentemente que exibe mensagens “Stand with Ukraine”.
- Researchers have been tracking protestware projects on GitHub with recently added code to exhibit messages such as “Stand with Ukraine”.