Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /səbˈvɜːt/
- (US) enPR: səbvûrtʹ, IPA(key): /səbˈvɝt/
- Rhymes: -ɜː(ɹ)t
- (transitive) To overturn from the foundation; to overthrow; to ruin utterly.
- He […] razeth your cities, and subverts your towns.
- John Locke
- This would subvert the principles of all knowledge.
- (transitive) To pervert, as the mind, and turn it from the truth; to corrupt; to confound.
- A dictator stays in power only as long as he manages to subvert the will of his people.
- (transitive) To upturn convention from the foundation by undermining it (literally, to turn from beneath).
to pervert the mind
to upturn convention by undermining it
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈsʌbvɜːt/
- (US) enPR: sŭbʹvûrt, IPA(key): /ˈsʌbvɝt/
- Rhymes: -ɜː(r)t
subvert (plural subverts)