Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -ɜː(r)t
pervert (plural perverts)
- (dated) One who has been perverted; one who has turned to error; one who has turned to a twisted sense of values or morals.
- A person whose sexual habits are not considered acceptable.
- Those perverts were trying to spy on us while we changed clothes!
- In contemporary usage, pervert is usually understood to refer to a sexually perverted person. Traditionally the word was mainly associated with persons of false religious beliefs.
- convert (religious)
one who has turned to error
sexually perverted person
- (transitive) To turn another way; to divert.
- Let's follow him, and pervert the present wrath.
- (transitive) To turn from truth, rectitude, or propriety; to divert from a right use, end, or way; to lead astray; to corrupt.
- He, in the serpent, had perverted Eve.
2004 April 15, “Morning swoop in hunt for Jodi's killer”, The Scotsman:
- A spokesman for Lothian and Borders Police said: "We can confirm that a 15-year-old boy has been arrested and charged in connection with the murder of Jodi Jones. A 45-year-old has also been arrested in connection with allegations of attempting to pervert the course of justice. A report on this has been sent to the procurator fiscal."
- To misapply; to misinterpret designedly.
- pervert one's words
- (intransitive) To become perverted; to take the wrong course.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Testament of Love to this entry?)
- (turn another way): divert, steer, veer
- (turn from truth; lead astray): corrupt, lead astray
- (misapply, misinterpret designedly): misapply, misuse
- (take the wrong course):
to turn another way
to turn from truth
to misinterpret designedly
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- a pervert