Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (intransitive) To shrivel, wrinkle (up).
- (transitive) To cause to be wrinkled, to shrivel.
1621, Robert Burton, The Anatomy of Melancholy, Oxford: Printed by Iohn Lichfield and Iames Short, for Henry Cripps, OCLC 216894069:, New York Review of Books, 2001, p.279:
- they crucify the soul of man, attenuate our bodies, dry them, wither them, rivel them up like old apples, make them as so many anatomies […].
rivel (plural rivels)
- (obsolete) A wrinkle; a rimple.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Holland to this entry?)
- (US) A kind of dumpling made from egg and wheat flour, often eaten in soup.