Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: school-marm
schoolmarm (plural schoolmarms)
- (US, slang) A woman who is a teacher, especially a teacher in a schoolhouse; may carry the connotation she is severe and/or a spinster.
- 2013, Josh Rountree; Lon Prater, Alamo Rising:
- The schoolmarm came to an abrupt stop in her arithmetic quizzing, her face set into a pruny scowl that looked to be permanent.
- (by extension) A person, of any gender, who exhibits characteristics attributed to schoolteachers of the old times, such as strict enforcement of arbitrary rules.
- 1941, Herman J. Mankiewicz; Orson Welles, Citizen Kane, RKO Radio Pictures, spoken by Jedediah Leland (Joseph Cotten):
- Bernstein, am I a stuffed shirt? Am I a horse-faced hypocrite? Am I a New England school marm?
- (forestry) A tree with two or more trunks; a forked tree.