Jump to navigation Jump to search
sessile (not comparable)
- (zoology) Permanently attached to a substrate; not free to move about.
- a sessile oyster
- (botany) Attached directly by the base; not having an intervening stalk; stalkless.
- 1992, Rudolf M[athias] Schuster, The Hepaticae and Anthocerotae of North America: East of the Hundredth Meridian, volume V, New York, N.Y.: Columbia University Press, →ISBN, page 5:
- The sporophyte foot is also characteristic: it is very broad and more or less lenticular or disciform, as broad or broader than the calyptra stalk […] , and is sessile on the calyptra base […]
- (not free to move): mobile
sessile (masculine and feminine plural sessili)