Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- The belief that people of one sex or gender are inherently superior to people of the other sex or gender.
- The notion that either gender is superior is sexism.
- Different treatment or discrimination based on a difference of sex or gender.
- The fact that there is only one woman in a management position in that company makes it easy to believe that sexism runs rampant there.
2011 December 14, Angelique Chrisafis, “Rachida Dati accuses French PM of sexism and elitism”, in Guardian:
- Dati launched a blistering attack on the prime minister, François Fillon, under whom she served as justice minister, accusing him of sexism, elitism, arrogance and hindering the political advancement of ethnic minorities.
- Disadvantage or unequal opportunity arising from the cultural dominance of one gender over the other.
- In order to succeed in fashion, men generally must acquire various feminine traits, which only points out the underlying sexism.
- Promotion or expectation or assumption of people to behave in accordance with or deviate from a gender role.
- Hollywood contributes to sexism in our society by making and promoting violent films for men and romantic comedies for women.
gender discrimination or dislike
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.