Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The belief that people of one sex or gender are inherently superior to others.
- The notion that either gender is superior is sexism.
- Discrimination or different treatment (e.g. in job opportunities) based on sex or gender.
- The fact that there is only one woman in a management position in that company makes it easy to believe that sexism runs rampant there.
- 2011 December 14, Angelique Chrisafis, “Rachida Dati accuses French PM of sexism and elitism”, in Guardian:
- Dati launched a blistering attack on the prime minister, François Fillon, under whom she served as justice minister, accusing him of sexism, elitism, arrogance and hindering the political advancement of ethnic minorities.
- Attitudes or actions that are based on or promote the expectation that people adhere to stereotypical social roles (gender roles) based on sex.
- the sexism of making and promoting violent films for men and romantic comedies for women
gender discrimination or dislike
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
sexism n (uncountable)