Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: shootdown
Audio (AU) (file)
shoot down (third-person singular simple present shoots down, present participle shooting down, simple past and past participle shot down)
- (transitive) To cause to fall by shooting.
- The carnival game involved shooting down tin cans.
- My grandfather shot down several fighter planes in the war.
- 2022 November 10, Ava Max, Melanie Fontana, Michel Schulz, Ryan Tedder, Madison Love, and Cirkut, “Weapons”, in Diamonds & Dancefloors, performed by Ava Max:
- Stop using your words as weapons / They're never gonna shoot me down / Stop, it's time that you learned a lesson / My love is gonna drown you out
- (transitive, idiomatic) To criticize a (request) to the point of preclusion.
- Every proposal I made was shot down at once.
to cause to fall by shooting