Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈskɜːmɪʃ/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈskɝmɪʃ/
- Rhymes: -ɜː(ɹ)mɪʃ
- Hyphenation: skir‧mish
skirmish (plural skirmishes)
- (military) A brief battle between small groups, usually part of a longer or larger battle or war.
- 1970 April 28, “Chen Pao Battle and Subsequent Threat Campaign”, in The Evolution of Soviet Policy in the Sino-Soviet Border Dispute, Directorate of Intelligence, published 2007, OCLC 1016975858, page 34:
- On 2 March, Chinese border guards with the help of regular PLA forces skillfully ambushed Strelnikov's unit on the ice near Chen Pao, killing him and 30 Soviets in the subsequent skirmish.
- (figuratively, by extension) Any minor dispute.
- Three people were arrested after a skirmish in a bar.
- A type of outdoor military style game using paintball or similar weapons.
brief battle between small groups
to engage in a minor battle or dispute