Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈsəʊ.bɹɪ.keɪ/
- (US) enPR: ʹsōbrĭkā, ʹsōbrĭkĕt, IPA(key): /ˈsoʊ.bɹɪ.keɪ/, /ˈsoʊ.bɹɪ.kɛt/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -eɪ
sobriquet (plural sobriquets)
- A familiar name for a person or thing; a nickname (sometimes assumed by the person, but often given by others), that is descriptive.
- Synonyms: cognomen, moniker, nickname
- “The Bard” is a sobriquet of English playwright William Shakespeare.
- 1862, A. Banning Norton, (Please provide the book title or journal name):
- The sobriquet of Johnny Appleseed attached to him, though his real name was Chapman, in consequence of his being ever engaged in gathering and planting appleseed and cultivating nurseries of apple trees.
familiar name for a person or thing
sobriquet m (plural sobriquets)