Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈsəʊ.bɹɪ.keɪ/
- (US) enPR: ʹsōbrĭkā, ʹsōbrĭkĕt, IPA(key): /ˈsoʊ.bɹɪ.keɪ/, /ˈsoʊ.bɹɪ.kɛt/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -eɪ
sobriquet (plural sobriquets)
- A familiar name for a person (typically a shortened version of a person’s given name).
- "The Bard" is a sobriquet of English playwright William Shakespeare.
- 1862, A. Banning Norton
- The sobriquet of Johnny Appleseed attached to him, though his real name was Chapman, in consequence of his being ever engaged in gathering and planting appleseed and cultivating nurseries of apple trees.
familiar name for a person
sobriquet m (plural sobriquets)