Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Southward
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈsaʊθwəd/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈsʌðəd/ (nautical)
Audio (US) (file)
southward (plural not attested)
- The direction or area lying to the south of a place.
- Situated or directed towards the south; moving or facing towards the south.
- Towards the south; in a southerly direction.
- 1943, Chao-ying Fang, “SUNG Chʻing [宋慶]”, in Arthur W. Hummel, editor, Eminent Chinese of the Chʻing Period (1644-1912), Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, published 1970, →OCLC, page 687, column 2:
- As the remnants retreated northward to Pengyang (平壤 Pʻing-jang), war was declared and a Chinese contingent from Manchuria went southward to that place.
towards the south