Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈspɔɹti/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈspɔːti/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- (rhotic, without the horse–hoarse merger) IPA(key): /ˈspo(ː)ɹti/
- (non-rhotic, without the horse–hoarse merger) IPA(key): /ˈspoəti/
- Rhymes: -ɔː(ɹ)ti
- Fond of sports.
- He's perfect for me, as he's both studious and sporty.
- 2020, Shalini Vallepur, I Can Be Sporty: Amazing Athletes Who Pushed the Boundaries, page 4:
- Sporty people all over the world spend their lives training to compete in competitions such as the Olympic Games.
- Suitable for use in sport.
- a sporty tennis outfit
- stylish with a fun, bold, vibrant quality or appearance.
- My new car looks sporty but is actually very practical.
- 2007, B. Lorraine Jones, Charles Augustus: A Boy's Will to Survive, page 29:
- His hat sat at a rakish angle giving him a sporty appearance.
- 2011, Carole Jackson, Color Me Beautiful, page 38:
- Your palette contains sporty colors, dressy colors, neutrals, basics, and bright accent colors.
- 2014, Sarah Richardson, Sarah Style, page 262:
- While you may never embrace my idea of applying paisley punch to your ceiling, you might want to wake up your walls with sporty stripes.
- 2015, T. L. Keller, The Total Novice’s Guide To UFOs: What You Need To Know:
- A form or design of a UFO that has a sleek or sporty appearance as in the type of UFO described in detail by Bob Lazar.
- 2019, Elaine Boylan, Stephanie Lightbown, How to Pass Higher Art & Design:
- The simple style of numbers and symbols on the face contributes to the modern, streamlined sporty appearance.
- 2021, Nina Mingya Powles, Small Bodies of Water:
- It's black with a sporty pattern of lilac stripes down the sides.
fond of sports
flashy in appearance