Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (US) (file)
springboard (plural springboards)
- A diving board consisting of a flexible, springy, cantilevered platform, used for diving into water.
- (gymnastics) A small platform on springs and usually hinged at one end, used to launch or vault onto other equipment.
- (figuratively) Anything that gives a person or thing energy or impulse, or that serves to launch or begin something.
- The opportunity served a springboard to their success.
flexible diving board
platform on springs used in gymnastics
figuratively: anything that launches or provides impulse
- (transitive) To launch or propel as if from a springboard, especially toward political office.
- 2007 October 4, Jennifer Steinhauer, “In Ballot Fight, California Gets a Taste of ’08”, in New York Times:
- Such a change could amount to a seismic shift in the nation’s electoral dynamics, potentially springboarding a Republican into the White House, and the possibility has animated hopeful Republicans and fearful Democrats.