Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (idiomatic, transitive, intransitive) to begin again; to return to the beginning
- I forgot to save my work, and I had to start over.
- He had to start the game over because he lost his memory card.
1885, “On Timing Races”, in Outing, volume 5, page 44:
- If every man in the heat falls down the first ten yards, don't stop your watch under the impression that they will "start over." They won't.
2010, Kathy O'Keefe, Over His Rainbow: A Single Woman's Journey to God's Promise:
- I have often heard of God referred to as the potter who gently and carefully shapes our character, but I am also aware that there are times when the potter mashes the clay and starts over.
2012, Susan Miller, After the Boxes Are Unpacked:
- The first step in my process of healing was to choose to let go and leave behind any encumbrances that would prevent me from starting over and moving ahead.