Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
subculture (plural subcultures)
- A portion of a culture distinguished by its customs or other features.
- The goth subculture has its own mode of dress, and it has a characteristic musical style.
- 1974, Charles Gaines & George Butler, Pumping Iron: The Art and Sport of Bodybuilding, page 7.
- Like those activities, bodybuilding is an obsession, a living (for a few), and a way of life for the people involved in it—a subculture, in a word, with its own values, aesthetics and vocabulary.
- (biology) A culture made by transferring microorganisms from a previous culture to a fresh growth medium
portion of a culture distinguished by its customs or other features
- (biology) To transfer (microorganisms) to a fresh growth medium in order to start a new culture
1990, Heidi F. Kaeppler et al., Silicon carbide fiber-mediated DNA delivery into plant cells, volume 9:
- Cultures were subcultured by 20-fold dilution into fresh MS2D medium approximately every 7 d.
- plural of