Jump to navigation Jump to search
- IPA(key): /ˈʃʊ(ə)ɹli/, /ˈʃɔɹli/, /ˈʃɝli/, /ˈʃɔː.li/
Audio (US) (file)
- Homophone: Shirley (in some dialects)
- Rhymes: -ɔːli
- Without fail.
- slowly but surely
- Certainly, undoubtedly.
- Surely, you must be joking.
- 1879, R[ichard] J[efferies], chapter 1, in The Amateur Poacher, London: Smith, Elder, & Co., […], OCLC 752825175, page 035:
- But then I had the flintlock by me for protection. ¶ There were giants in the days when that gun was made; for surely no modern mortal could have held that mass of metal steady to his shoulder. The linen-press and a chest on the top of it formed, however, a very good gun-carriage; and, thus mounted, aim could be taken out of the window […].
- With confidence.
- His feet were planted surely on the ground.
- 1611, King James Version of the Bible, Luke 1:1
- Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us […].
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked: "no gloss provided"
- surly, suerly, surliche, surelich, seurly, suyrly, swrly, seurerly, seuirly, sureli, sewrly, sourely, sewerly, swerly, sewrlye, surelye
surely (comparative surelier)
- safely (with safety and security)
- totally, bindingly, without doubt
- For sure, with certainty.
- truely, actually, really
- totally, entirely, wholly
- With conviction and belief; assuredly