- IPA(key): /ˈʃʊ(ə)ɹli/, /ˈʃɔɹli/, /ˈʃɝli/, /ˈʃɔː.li/
Audio (US) (file)
- Homophone: Shirley (in some dialects)
- Rhymes: -ɔːli
- Without fail.
slowly but surely
- Certainly, undoubtedly.
Surely, you must be joking.
- 1879, Richard Jefferies, The Amateur Poacher, chapter1:
- But then I had the flintlock by me for protection. ¶ There were giants in the days when that gun was made; for surely no modern mortal could have held that mass of metal steady to his shoulder. The linen-press and a chest on the top of it formed, however, a very good gun-carriage; and, thus mounted, aim could be taken out of the window […].
- With confidence.
His feet were planted surely on the ground.
- 1611, King James Version of the Bible, Luke 1:1
- Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us […].
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked: "no gloss provided"