Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Arousing suspicion.
- Synonym: questionable
- His suspicious behaviour brought him to the attention of the police.
- 1957, H. E. Bates, Death of a Huntsman
- If their views were entrancing their sanitation was primeval; if they possessed stables they were also next to the gas-works; if their gardens were delightful there were odours suspicious of mice in the bedrooms.
- Distrustful or tending to suspect.
- c. 1587–1588, [Christopher Marlowe], Tamburlaine the Great. […] The First Part […], part 1, 2nd edition, London: […] [R. Robinson for] Richard Iones, […], published 1592, OCLC 932920499; reprinted as Tamburlaine the Great (A Scolar Press Facsimile), Menston, Yorkshire; London: Scolar Press, 1973, →ISBN, Act III, scene ii:
- Betraide by fortune and ſuſpitious loue,
Threatned with frowning wrath and iealouſie,
Surpriz’d with feare and hideous reuenge,
I ſtand agaſt: […]
- Expressing suspicion
- She gave me a suspicious look.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked