Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
switchblade (plural switchblades)
- A folding knife with a blade which opens automatically (under spring pressure) when a button is pressed.
- (transitive) To attack or cut with a switchblade.
- (intransitive) To spring open or up.
- (transitive, intransitive) To (cause to) make a sudden move or transition.
1963, Cleveland Amory & Earl Blackwell, Celebrity Register:
- He briefly rocked medical school, switchbladed to accounting and finally joked his first radio script in 1938.
2002, Plays International - Volume 18, page 15:
- The play's principal comic manoeuvre is to have concern switchblading into callousness.