Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: testostérone
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /tɛˈstɒ.stə.ɹəʊn/
Audio (UK) (file)
- (General American) IPA(key): /tɛˈstɑ.stəˌɹoʊn/
- (biochemistry, steroids) A steroid hormone that stimulates development of male secondary sexual characteristics, produced mainly in the testes, but also in the ovaries and adrenal cortex.
- 2019, Bill Bryson, The Body: A Guide for Occupants, Black Swan (2020), page 168:
- Mammalian testes contain almost no testosterone because it is sent out into the body as quickly as it is made.
- (figuratively) Manly behavior, often of an aggressive or foolishly reckless nature.
- Mother encouraged James to rely more on intelligence and less on testosterone to deal with the neighbor's son.
- “testosterone”, in Lexico, Dictionary.com; Oxford University Press, 2019–present.
- “testosterone”, in Merriam–Webster Online Dictionary.
testosterone m (plural testosteroni)