Jump to navigation Jump to search
thana (plural thanas)
- An Indian military outpost.
- (India) A police station, or a police jurisdiction.
- 1888, Rudyard Kipling, ‘At Howli Thana’, Black and White, Folio Society, published 2005, page 387:
- To this talk the dacoits agreed, and we had no trouble at the Thana, and could eat melons in peace, sitting upon our charpoys all day long.
- 2015, Arupa Patangia Kalita, translated by Ranjita Biswas, Written in Tears, Harper Perennial, page 70:
- Accompanied by some other young men from the village, he made rounds of the police thana and military base to get a release order.
- Low German: den
- the breast of a woman