Jump to navigation Jump to search
outpost (plural outposts)
- A military post stationed at a distance from the main body of troops.
- The outpost did not have enough ammunition to resist a determined assault.
- The body of troops manning such a post.
- Sgt. Smith fleeced most of the rest of the outpost of their earnings in their weekly game of craps.
- An outlying settlement.
- Beyond the border proper, there are three small outposts not officially under government protection.
- (chess) A square protected by a pawn that is in or near the enemy's stronghold.
A military post
An outlying settlement