Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Thrift
- (uncountable) The characteristic of using a minimum of something (especially money).
- His thrift can be seen in how little the trashman takes from his house.
- (countable, US) A savings bank.
- Usually, home mortgages are obtained from thrifts.
- (countable) Any of various plants of the genus Armeria, particularly Armeria maritima.
- (obsolete) Success and advance in the acquisition of property; increase of worldly goods; gain; prosperity.
- (obsolete) Vigorous growth, as of a plant.
- (characteristic of using a minimum of something): frugality
characteristic of using a minimum of something
various plants of the genus Armeria
- (transitive) To obtain from a thrift shop.
2007, James Bernard Frost, World Leader Pretend, page 152:
- She probably thrifted the T-shirt and shorts. Bought the hiking boots yesterday at Copeland's. She's not much of a hiker, Xerxes thinks.