Jump to navigation Jump to search
- A dull, heavy sound.
- 1941, Gladys Mitchell, When Last I Died:
- There was nothing to be seen, but he could hear loud thumpings and bumpings which seemed to come from the back of the house.
- A beating.
- He received a thumping from the school bully.
- 1824, William Craig Brownlee, A careful and free inquiry into the true nature and tendency of the religious principles of the Society of Friends, commonly called Quakers:
- And in our times, in Philadelphia, there have been specimens of violent shruggings of the shoulders, and brachial twitches, and prodigious wry faces, and thumpings on the pews.
- (sports) A heavy defeat.
- 2011 January 11, Jonathan Stevenson, “West Ham 2 - 1 Birmingham”, in BBC:
- Grant's future has been the subject of rumour after rumour for much of the season and last week's horrific 5-0 thumping at Newcastle was the catalyst for another round of fevered speculation.
- (heavy defeat): thrashing