Jump to navigation Jump to search
tipping (plural tippings)
- The practice of leaving a tip (gratuity).
- The act by which something is tipped or inclined.
- 2013, Peter Andersson, Streetlife in Late Victorian London: The Constable and the Crowd:
- Hat-tippings and cap-doffings are of course of a different nature to more elaborate verbal greetings. In etiquette manuals they may be described as incentives to a conversation, but in practice they seem to have been quite ceremonial.
- The dumping of rubbish.
- (music) A distinct articulation given in playing quick notes on the flute, by striking the tongue against the roof of the mouth; double-tonguing.