Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Originally that is to wit (“that is to know”); see wit.
- (formal) That is to say; namely; specifically.
- The directors of the company, to wit, Fred Smith and Albert Jones, inform us that…
- The defendant is charged with possession of a controlled substance, to wit, cocaine…
- July 2000, Todd Greanier, Discover the secrets of the Java Serialization API
- Though the animation code above demonstrates how a thread could be included as part of an object while still making that object be serializable, there is a major problem with it if we recall how Java creates objects. To wit, when we create an object with the new keyword, the object’s constructor is called only when a new instance of a class is created.
- See namely
that is to say