Jump to navigation Jump to search
scilicet (not comparable)
- namely, to wit, as follows
- 1792, Dr. Burn's Law Dictionary, volume 2:
- As in ejectment, where the declaration is of a demise the second of January, and that the defendant afterwards, scilicet, the first of January ejected him, here the scilicet may be rejected, as being contrary to what went before.
- (Classical) IPA(key): /ˈskiː.li.ket/, [ˈskiː.lʲɪ.kɛt̪]
- (Ecclesiastical) IPA(key): /ˈʃi.li.t͡ʃet/, [ˈʃiː.li.t͡ʃɛt̪]
scīlicet (not comparable)
- of course, naturally, namely; to wit, evidently, certainly, undoubtedly
- Optime. Ita scilicet facturam.
- Very good. Of course she will do so.
- Tam ego homo sum quam tu. — Scilicet. Ita res est.
- Nevertheless, I am a man as much as you are. — Of course. So it is.
- A te litteras exspectabam. — Nondum scilicet; nam has mane rescribebam.
- I had been expecting letters from you. — Not yet naturally; for I wrote them back in reply in the morning.
- Nota scilicet illa res.
- That event is surely well known.
- Comites secuti scilicet sunt virginem?
- The associates followed the maiden of course?
- that is to say (medieval)
- The adverb scilicet is often followed by sed and tamen.
- Cognoscat (orator) rerum gestarum et memoriae veteris ordinem, maxime scilicet nostrae civitatis, sed etiam imperiosorum populorum et regum illustrium.
- The orator knows the row of achievements and the old man's memory, (and) of course, (knows) certainly the row of our citizenship, but also of the mighty peoples and the bright kings.
- Scilicet nimis hic quidem est progressus, sed ex eo ipso est conjectura facilis.
- Of course very much here is at least progress, but from it self is the easy conjecture.
- Maxime scilicet in homine, sed in omni animali.
- Naturally most in men, but in every animal.
- scilicet in Charlton T. Lewis and Charles Short (1879) A Latin Dictionary, Oxford: Clarendon Press
- scilicet in Charlton T. Lewis (1891) An Elementary Latin Dictionary, New York: Harper & Brothers
- scilicet in Gaffiot, Félix (1934) Dictionnaire Illustré Latin-Français, Hachette
- scilicet in Ramminger, Johann (accessed 16 July 2016) Neulateinische Wortliste: Ein Wörterbuch des Lateinischen von Petrarca bis 1700, pre-publication website, 2005-2016