Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Any plant which habitually breaks away from its roots in the autumn, and is driven by the wind, as a light, rolling mass, over the fields and prairies; as witch grass, wild indigo, Amaranthus albus, etc.
- (attributive) Describing unwanted silence and inactivity. Often used of a situation when one makes a statement that is ignored or ill-received by one's audience, as the resultant silence is likened to that of a desolate desert with rolling tumbleweeds.
- 2000 January 21, “Plsntgrn”, in alt.music.progressive:
- Putting an ad in the local paper that Spock's Beard and Arena are in town will get you a tumbleweed response and some wasted revenue.
- A tan colour, like that of a tumbleweed.
- tumbleweed colour:
plant which breaks loose and is driven by the wind