turn up for the book
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (idiomatic) a very unexpected, usually pleasant, surprise.
- When it was finally time to board, we got on the train to find out that we’d been put in business class. This was a turn up for the book, reclining seats and room to stretch out a little.
- 1987: Edward Dryhurst, Gilt Off the Gingerbread
- Her mother kept well away from us, which was a turn up for the book, and for the time being at any rate, I was a model husband.
- The plural form turn ups for the book is rarely used outside journalism.
- The phrase turn up for the books is not a plural form of turn up for the book, but an alternative singular form.