Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (dated) Touch wood; knock on wood; an injunction to fate that nothing will go wrong.
- 1883, Rhoda Broughton, Belinda:
- "Unberufen ! " cries Sarah, with a shudder that is not all affectation, " do not mention that accursed name ; I could have sworn that I heard her voice just now !"
- 1904, Ralph Henry Barbour, Kitty of the roses:
- " Unberufen !" he cried. "Unberufen!" she echoed. Then their glances met and they laughed...
- 1905, Anna Chapin Ray and Hamilton Brock Fuller, On the Firing Line, EBook edition, Project Gutenberg, published 2009:
- Bending over, Ethel turned back the cloth and thumped on the under side of the table. / "Unberufen and Absit omen," she said hastily. "Don't tempt Providence too far, Captain Frazer. …"
- 1920, Percy Lubbock (ed.), The Letters of Henry James
- And I am working so well (unberufen!) with my admirable Secretary; I shouldn't really dare to ask her to join our little caravan...