Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ʌnˈfɔːtjʊnət/, /ʌnˈfɔːt͡ʃənət/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- (General American) IPA(key): /ʌnˈfɔɹt͡ʃənɪt/
- Hyphenation: un‧for‧tu‧nate
- not favored by fortune
- marked or accompanied by or resulting in misfortune
not favored by fortune
marked or accompanied by or resulting in misfortune
unfortunate (plural unfortunates)
- An unlucky person; one who has fallen into bad circumstances.
- 1960 February, “Talking of Trains: Moretonhampstead - a p.s.”, in Trains Illustrated, page 73:
- Of those adults who used the trains every day, about half now travel daily by bus, [...] one unfortunate is reported to be walking to and from his employment.
- (archaic, euphemistic) A prostitute.