Audio (US) (file)
- Coming by good luck or favorable chance.
- Bringing some good thing not foreseen as certain.
- Presaging happiness.
- Receiving some unforeseen or unexpected good, or some good which was not dependent on one's own skill or efforts.
- Lucky, favored by fortune.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
From fortūnātus (“fortunate, prosperous”)
- Charlton T. Lewis (1891) An Elementary Latin Dictionary, 1st edition. (Oxford University Press)