Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- intended to be worn
- Clothes used to be called wearing apparel
- causing tiredness
2014 August 17, Jonathan Beckman, “Chasing Lost Time: the Life of C K Scott Moncrieff, Soldier, Spy and Translator by Jean Findlay, review: 'cherishes inconsequential events': Translating Proust’s life work was more a labour than a love for C K Scott Moncrieff [print version: Trouble ahead, 16 August 2014, pp. R24–R25]”, in The Daily Telegraph (Review):
- [The biography] also displays a rather wearing fidelity to chronology that gives rise to too many summer holidays at the beginning of the book and too many royalty statements towards the end.
- causing erosion
wearing (plural wearings)
- The mechanical process of eroding or grinding.
- The act by which something is worn.
- formal crown-wearings
- That which is worn; clothes; garments.
- Give me my nightly wearing and adieu.