Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Old English weoloc, wioloc, from Proto-Germanic *weluka- (compare Middle Dutch willoc, Dutch wulk), perhaps from Proto-Indo-European *wel- (“to turn, revolve”) (whence vulva and volute) Spelling wh- from 15th century.
whelk (plural whelks)
- Certain edible sea snails, especially, any one of numerous species of large marine gastropods belonging to Buccinidae, much used as food in Europe.
- A stripe or mark; a ridge; a wale.
an edible sea snail
- Whelk on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Boccinum on Wikispecies. Wikispecies: Boccinum
- Boccinidae on Wikimedia Commons. Wikimedia Commons: Boccinidae