Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
volute (plural volutes)
- (architecture) The spiral curve on an Ionic capital.
- (zoology) The spirals or whorls on a gastropod's shell.
- (zoology) Any marine gastropod of the family Volutidae.
2002, Don Philpott, Florida: Gulf Coast, page 16:
- Common shells include frog-shells, distorsios, volutes, tulips, murex, cones, olives, marginellas, cowries, augers and the Florida horse conch, the state's official shell, which can grow up to 24in (6 1 cm) long.
- (engineering) The casing in a centrifugal pump, whose shape is somewhat similar to architectural volutes.
- (art) A spiral or scroll form.
- (music) A scroll-shaped carving at the tuning head of a stringed musical instrument, similar to architectural volutes.
a type of shellfish
casing in a centrifugal pump
scroll shaped carving at the tuning head of stringed musical instruments
volute (not comparable)
- (engineering) Of a spring: having a spiral curve on its tail.