Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
volute (plural volutes)
- (architecture) The spiral curve on an Ionic capital.
- (zoology) The spirals or whorls on a gastropod's shell.
- (zoology) Any marine gastropod of the family Volutidae.
- (engineering) the casing in a centrifugal pump, whose shape is somewhat similar to architectural volutes
- (engineering) (of a spring) having a spiral curve on its tail
- (art) a spiral or scroll form
- (music) a scroll shaped carving at the tuning head of stringed musical instruments similar to architectural volutes
a type of shellfish
casing in a centrifugal pump
scroll shaped carving at the tuning head of stringed musical instruments